ERT RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ERT RPG

The home of the Emergency Response Team, the online text roleplaying game

Check out our site at ertrpg.net
We have moved to ertrpg.net
The move to IP.Board is HERE! The official move begins at approx 1930h GMT 25102011

+6
J.Floan
Jack Anders
J.Libor
J. Hannahan
DCBurke
EwanRaven
10 posters

You know what really grinds my gear here...

EwanRaven
    EwanRaven
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

You know what really grinds my gear here... Empty You know what really grinds my gear here...

Post by EwanRaven Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:50 pm

*I write a post about how much I hate god be damned astericks used as an action*

Seriously...
    I came from a more hardcore roleplaying communinity, albiet now defunct, but something that has always angered me is the use of astericks...

I can understand sometimes, but seriously, I'm making this up off the top of my head, but I know it's happened before.

*I arrive on scene*
    "Insert speech function here
    *I treat the vic*

Seriously... what did you just hope to accomplish with that. So from now on, as a commanding officer and as a prick that's been around ERT a long time, if you post something like that that I put above, I'm going to recomend you be retrained in whatever it is you do. While you may not be retrained or whatever I suggest, seriously... I've seen ERT made fun of on the web because of stuff like that, be descriptive, seriously, people are watching and, quite frankly, it's terrible to look at.
    DCBurke
    DCBurke
    Admin
    Admin

You know what really grinds my gear here... Empty Re: You know what really grinds my gear here...

Post by DCBurke Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Um, not as harsh as that, he got to do my part, and now I have to be nice, but i digress:

As part of project restoration, this is going to be stopped. Three things that have been really a big problem lately are:
    Short, non-descript posts - Next time I see a person post just radio chatter that isn't me or kelly, and it isn't in the EAT, I'm deleting your post. That simple.
    Flying through actions - This has been hurting calls. The older members know I don't like calls 1 or 2 pages long, and they don't let it get that way, but the thing is, people fly through actions. I've seen as Ewan pointed out, on many occassions, people arriving and getting 5 minutes of work done in a post that covers 10 seconds. Time warp will be happening in this game, yes, but not on individual calls, not like that. Try and slow things down. There seems to be a lot of useless posts that are caused by the useful posts doing everything. Don't be afraid to let treating a patient run over 10 posts throughout a day, or getting on scene and set up take 4 posts instead of 1. That's good, just don't drag it out. I still want the same call lengths, just with more useful stuff in it, so 3-5 days of good, useful posts that don't frustrate.
    Dragging out calls - This is the worst one for me. I find certain calls just don't end. Or at least feel that way, because nothing interesting happens for a day or two and people get bored. I usually dispatch Saturday night, and throughout the week I'll give smaller calls if there are units sat around doing nothing.

Basically, slow down, be descriptive and interesting, but don't drag your asses while doing it Wink
    J. Hannahan
    J. Hannahan
    Post Master General
    Post Master General

You know what really grinds my gear here... Empty Re: You know what really grinds my gear here...

Post by J. Hannahan Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:28 pm

I agree it does look weird and tacky. I gotta work on it too i've noticed. What grinds my gears here is when I see someone logged on that you really need but doesn't post then logs off!
    DCBurke
    DCBurke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DCBurke Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Patience grasshopper
    -Don't dare go off topic, I'll ban you in a millisecond-
    EwanRaven
    EwanRaven
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by EwanRaven Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:37 pm

This is also contunuing from the first post, but guys look, again... a lot of you guys don't do this, but when fire arrives on scene and is about to start treatment on someone, we barley have time to open the equipment compartments before EMS gets there, gets the guy on a gurney, and leaves. Then I'm standing there like... what the flowere that was a freaking waste of gas.
    J.Libor
    J.Libor
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by J.Libor Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Hell, I remember on the last site when we had false alarms that went 2-3 pages long, and that was with 1 truck usually.

I almost think we should restart. Go through, save important stuff, clear all bs/old calls, and get started how it was before. We have the base topics(map, city info, truck info,etc), then delete everything. We rebuild from the bottom up. Revise all SOPs, rules, etc., get command structures set up. Get units cleared up. This way, we ditch old habits and don't develop new ones and would get the game how it was when I looked forward to getting home, having fun with the guys on ert. Now I'm logging on and not even wanting to deal with some of the shit that goes on.

I remember my first call. SEV-2 medical standby for drug warrant. I remember the first motorcycle accident, we IO'd the guy, hauled him out. Then a drunk driver smashed into ladder 1. Then we put in a new rule making it so at least 2 lanes must be open on the highway, or else it is shut down. Then me and Chris McEvoy climbed through a skyscraper, 14 floor I believe, during a fire. After that the crew recommended him for promotion and started his leadership on the fire dept.

My point is that I can remember all this because it was fun and detailed. How many of you can remember that much from the new site?

Anyway, my point is that we need to restart now or I believe we will fall apart very soon.

Police Lieutenant
    Joe Libor
    EwanRaven
    EwanRaven
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by EwanRaven Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:03 pm

J.Libor wrote:
    I remember the first motorcycle accident, we IO'd the guy, hauled him out. Then a drunk driver smashed into ladder 1. Then we put in a new rule making it so at least 2 lanes must be open on the highway, or else it is shut down. Then me and Chris McEvoy climbed through a skyscraper, 14 floor I believe, during a fire. After that the crew recommended him for promotion and started his leadership on the fire dept.

Libor you made... ummm... crap early to make my day... you made my morning right here. Way to go brother.

Haha, I remember that too, and no it was me you and McEvoy was on the first floor with a USAR tech trying to fix a presurized gas leak by shutting off a switch of some sort. Ermmmm, PM me at some point, me and jansen been working on a project you may want to be in.
    J.Libor
    J.Libor
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by J.Libor Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Sounds right, I don't know if it was the same call or not, but I rememberr taking 1 1/2 pages just to get down the hall way. Smile
    EwanRaven
    EwanRaven
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by EwanRaven Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:10 pm

Yeah haha, all that stuff from the roof falling, and frantaclly trying to reposition the ladder
    J.Libor
    J.Libor
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by J.Libor Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Yeah, I remember that now. Smile had 3 or 4 guys, just a big ass fire with our ladder. Running in and out grabbing gear, adjusting the ladder. Lol, fun fun.
    Jack Anders
    Jack Anders
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by Jack Anders Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:23 pm

I'm deleting your post

So do you want us to report said posts or are you going to read through all the topics?
    J.Floan
    J.Floan
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by J.Floan Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:25 pm

What chaps my a** is when people just dont spend the time to pick up where they last posted and jump in and post something so off the damn wall and way off topic. take the time to read from where you last posted and I think tat will make a huge difference.

I know when i was gone this last time I had to read a page and a half of 1 and 2 liners before I got to the end. Seems like Hannahan is a good example of how its supposed to be done.

I also agree that calls take WAYYYYY too long sometimes. I dont know how to fix it exactly, I try to go with the flow and talk to the ones on my Engine Companay about the issues 1:1 rather than in front of everybody. Who knows if it works or not but i think we're making good progress. I mean ERT has certainly gotten bigger than a year ago so there are naturally going to be more issues coming up and Raven when u said people are badmouthing ERT on other rooms. There will always be critics, if they think they can do better then lets have them join and step up, see what tey are made of. I personally enjoy the hell out of my crew, the Interactions we have together and the interactions of the rest of the ERT teams. I dotn pay any attention to the critics that are all around me. Life is too short for that. trust me I found that out a couple weeks ago.
    EwanRaven
    EwanRaven
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by EwanRaven Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:29 pm

You know I remember almost every call on old ert that I went to.
    Office fire
    School fire
    Italian resturaunt fire (That was a really good call)
    Mall Bombing
    Garage fire, the infamous galligano flies 50 ft in the air and lands in wheel barrow fire.
    Sewer fire (Last call before Old ERT closed, ended midway.)
    Office smoke alarm, possible back draft, I got bogged in work for like 4 months durring this call, never finished it.

@Floan
    True there will always be critics, but to be honest I've been one of them. But I see like a page of one liners and I'm like... "f*ck this"" and just ask, then no one responds. That pisses me off.
    J.Libor
    J.Libor
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by J.Libor Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:33 pm

@Anders

TOs and officer can report them and then Burke reads most of (99.9%) all the calls. Also, short posts stick out.

@Ewan

The garage fire with the boom was here wasn't it? The bomb call was intense, but that got cut short too.
    M. Cressler
    M. Cressler
    Major Poster
    Major Poster

Post by M. Cressler Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:57 am

sometimes i'll make quick posts because i'm really busy but when I do it I don't usually don't accomplish big things like I won't go *i put out the fire and leave the scene*

i'm usually doing it so you know i'm still alive...and to hannahan i will almost always show as online but thats because i almost always have atleast 1 of my computers on and on the internet even if i'm no where near it i'm not sure how many other people do that a lot
    J.Floan
    J.Floan
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by J.Floan Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:41 am

@ Raven. True a page of 1 liners is a real pain to look at. it makes it seem like people dont care and just post anything so they can be involved W/O thinking of a nice post.
    J. Hannahan
    J. Hannahan
    Post Master General
    Post Master General

Post by J. Hannahan Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Not talking about you man, you're ok. I'm talking about others though....and i'm with Moon's thing. Sometimes we have to take into account that maybe everyone is doing what you want them to do and you can't think of anything else to say so you wait...and wait..until someone else posts so you can post something again.
    Jack Anders
    Jack Anders
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by Jack Anders Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:02 pm

So maybe we should leave what we do open ended in a way? make it so we set someone else up to post and carry on the call, I try to do that alot with my posts. I find it helps carry the call and keep it going.
    J. Hannahan
    J. Hannahan
    Post Master General
    Post Master General

Post by J. Hannahan Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Yea, and not make the call so dang straight-forward. Add in a little bit here, a fire here, an injury there all adding to the fun but keeping it realistic and keeping it within the rules. I remember that garage fire too, did CPR on Galligano, immensely fun! I know its weird but like I said do some fun things in the calls because just like real life, not everything goes to plan.
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:02 pm

EwanRaven wrote:You know I remember almost every call on old ert that I went to.
    Office fire
    School fire
    Mall Bombing
    Garage fire, the infamous galligano flies 50 ft in the air and lands in wheel barrow fire.
    Office smoke alarm, possible back draft, I got bogged in work for like 4 months durring this call, never finished it.

@Floan
    True there will always be critics, but to be honest I've been one of them. But I see like a page of one liners and I'm like... "f*ck this"" and just ask, then no one responds. That pisses me off.

Yeah I remember the sewer fire, that was my first and only call on the old ERT L1. But really, I agree. Those one line posts are horrible. Yeah, you found some guy, but how'd you do it; did you hear him, see him, etc. The thing that I do though is time lapse. Like instead posting one post that says that I'm going somewhere, and then another post saying I arrived, I find it easier just to say that I'm going somewhere and I arrived a few mins later, all in one post.
    DCBurke
    DCBurke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DCBurke Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Office fire
    School fire
    Mall Bombing

Actually, the sewer fire was the second last, after that we started the bomb call at the mall, but never finished it! Raven had just taken his jacket off and placed it on the dead teorrist and I got a little fidgety because those jackets are special, and we only carry what's needed.

I'll think about rebooting everything though, I ask that most calls try to finish up shortly though, and I'll announce the new Ladder 1 TO
    EwanRaven
    EwanRaven
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by EwanRaven Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:02 pm

DCBurke wrote:

Actually, the sewer fire was the second last, after that we started the bomb call at the mall, but never finished it! Raven had just taken his jacket off and placed it on the dead teorrist and I got a little fidgety because those jackets are special, and we only carry what's needed.

I'll think about rebooting everything though, I ask that most calls try to finish up shortly though, and I'll announce the new Ladder 1 TO

You know I'd like piss myself laughing if that "Mall bombing" was the reason IPB Free got shut down xD
    J.Libor
    J.Libor
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by J.Libor Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:11 pm

I was honestly thinking the same thing. Smile lol
    DCBurke
    DCBurke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DCBurke Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:24 pm

If it was i'd be in gitmo in camp Echo
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Yeah: "David Burke is under arrest for plotting a terrorist attack..." I can see it now... Razz Still I kinda miss the old ERT. I never got very far though...
    M. Cressler
    M. Cressler
    Major Poster
    Major Poster

Post by M. Cressler Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:51 pm

speaking of feds i thought i was going to jail today you all know how i take pictures for the pirates well we were taking pictures today and it was a slow day but like the only girls there were like 13 year olds with not enough clothes on haha
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:23 am

LOL nice goin! I was at a party yesterday with a bunch of 13 yr old girls in bikinis. Pretty fun party...as I have a big handprint on my chest from some Asian kid slapping me lol.
    M. Cressler
    M. Cressler
    Major Poster
    Major Poster

Post by M. Cressler Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:03 am

yes but 13 is legal for you...i'm 19....thats a no no haha
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Well when you put it that way...
    EwanRaven
    EwanRaven
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by EwanRaven Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:47 pm

C. Davis wrote:LOL nice goin! I was at a party yesterday with a bunch of 13 yr old girls in bikinis.

You're 13
    that's the most revealing someone's been on your age level infront of you...
    pffft
    get outta here kid.... lol

Wait... Cressler, over 9000 points for derailing a thread.
    DCBurke
    DCBurke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DCBurke Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Come on, if that's the most you've seen in real life at 13, newfoundland must age early Wink I'd seen more earlier.. Oh well, I digress

Back to topic shall we?
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Yeah sure Burke, but just one thing. Raven, it's not like it was back in the day, when...well you get it. But anyway...back to complaints...
    Jack Anders
    Jack Anders
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by Jack Anders Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:59 pm

one last off topic thing, having a river near by helps Wink

anyway, I think there are a few people who have not been reading this topic lately...
    M. Cressler
    M. Cressler
    Major Poster
    Major Poster

Post by M. Cressler Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:13 am

rope swings in the summer! thats where it goes down
    M.Daniels
    M.Daniels
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by M.Daniels Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:19 am

Guys, oh the OLD ERT. I was so funny, I had an exclamation mark in nearly every sentence. Good Times lol. I panicked so much when the OLD ERT was offline. Then I turned to EMP where there was a post about what Happend, then I calmed down.

But yea, I can see what you guys are saying and I agree.
    JessicaForsyth
    JessicaForsyth
    Master Poster
    Master Poster

Post by JessicaForsyth Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:33 am

Ok. I'm sorry I really gotta repsond to that off topic post LOL. When I was 13 I'd seen and done more than just being in a bikini infront of a boy LOL.

As far as restarting..I like the idea. I tihnk it would help.
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:36 am

Jess LOL. Girls just aren't like that here haha.

Anyway, restarting what? The topic?
    M. Cressler
    M. Cressler
    Major Poster
    Major Poster

Post by M. Cressler Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:23 am

(haha indiana girls must be some conservative (***************) (not suppose to be an actual word so dont try to guess it just a space for w.e word you feel fits haha
    Jack Anders
    Jack Anders
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by Jack Anders Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:13 am

*Picks up phone and calls 911*

'Quick give me DC Burke!'
    *Burke picks up phone*
    'Burke there has been a major derailment! Send every one you have!'

Get my drift?
    Anyway @Davis, this ERT page, getting rid of the old calls starting enforcing a TA period for recruits, etc. I agree
    DCBurke
    DCBurke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DCBurke Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Restarting would include three things
    A cleaning of old topics (most in IC sections, but some OOC sections as well) all old topics will get moved to a private admin only forum, to be kept for reference. All calls will remain, but will be closed. Call summary will be stopped and be the responsiblity of OSC, COPA will add comments.

Training will be mandatory and several people will be given alternate accounts/personalities to be a training officer at the academy full time
    M. Cressler
    M. Cressler
    Major Poster
    Major Poster

Post by M. Cressler Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:10 pm

him i like the archiving of the old however I don't know about making it admin only some people might like to look into the past some days maybe archiving it but locking them all?
    DCBurke
    DCBurke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DCBurke Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:42 pm

Would only be able to archive them bulk, and that's it, nothing else, like fancy forums and categories... Topics only. They were being saved for admin only since then if I needed something from an outdated topic, it'd be there
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:34 pm

I wish you still did the call summaries though. I liked those, leave them to the OSC. Wink
    DCBurke
    DCBurke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DCBurke Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:01 pm

I find now that we've grown, me writing a summary with all the errors for every call (we might have three on the go at once, plus side calls like now) makes it hard. I've got a life, and I'm working alone as of late, so it's hard to keep up.
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Ok I understand. I mean by now, because all of us have been here for awhile and there aren't many newcomers, then we kinda find our own errors, or they're pointed out by our fellow members.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:19 am